Who want’s a rich dark booze-oozing sponge paired with a tangy cream frosting? You do!
Chocolate Guinness Cake ingredients:
For the Guinness chocolate cake’s sponge you will need:
- 250ml (9fl oz) Guinness
- 250g (9oz) unsalted butter
- 80g (3oz) cocoa powder
- 400g (14oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 280g (10oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 140ml (5fl oz) buttermilk
For the frosting you will need:
- 50g (1 ¾ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 300g ( oz) icing sugar
- 125g (4 ½ oz) full fat cream cheese – such as Philadelphia
- Cocoa powder for dusting – optional
- One 23cm (9in) diameter spring-form cake tin
Chocolate Guinness Cake method:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 325°F / gas mark 3
- Line the bottom of the cake tin with baking parchment.
- Empty the Guinness into a saucepan, add the butter and gently heat until it has melted. Remove from the hob and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar. In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, vanilla essence and buttermilk by hand, and then add it to the mixture in the pan.
- Sift together the remaining sponge ingredients into a large bowl. Here you can either use a mixer with paddle attachment, or hand electric whisk on a low speed. Pour in the contents of the pan, scrape all the goodness off the sides of the bowl and mix it all together!
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 mins (ish) or until your sponge bounces back when lightly pressed or we like the trusty skewer tricky – insert one into the middle of the cake and its ready when it comes out clean! Remove the cake from the tin onto a wire rack, make sure its cold to touch before you frost it!
- Back to the mixer! Combine the butter and icing sugar together until all the large lumps are gone – it should turn to a sandy mixture. Add the cream cheese and mix on a low speed, then increase the speed gradually until its all light and fluffy!
- Top your cake GENEROUSLY with the cream cheese frosting, and a light dusting of cocoa powder if it takes your fancy.
Remember, you can get creative with any of our our delicious flavoured bars for your Chocolate Guinness Cake.