When you are looking to make a lovely summer dessert that everyone can enjoy, it’s often a good idea to include a gluten free recipe into the mix, as gluten sensitivity is more common than you may think! This simple recipe was inspired by our #FlavourFocus for this month (Mango), as we thought; why not use this delicious flavour in a gluten free recipe? It’s tropical, extremely indulgent and perfect for summer.
Gluten Free Summer Sponge Recipe
MAKES 1 CAKE // TIME: 35 MINUTES // EASY
For the cake:
- 150g Margarine
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150g Wheat and Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 3tbsp Milk
For the buttercream:
- 200g Choc affair Mango White Chocolate
- 250g Softened Unsalted Butter
- 250g Icing Sugar
- A little milk (to get the right consistency)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas Mark 5.
- Beat the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder until combined; then add the milk and continue to mix (the mixture may be quite sloppy – but that’s ok)!
- Divide the mixture into 2 lined baking tins, and bake in the centre of the oven for around 20 minutes – you can test if the cake is ready by poking in a cake tester (or knife) – the cake is ready when the tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake your cake, as this will give you hard edges! To help avoid this, you can fold a piece of tin foil and wrap it around the tin before you put them in the oven.
- When ready, lift out the cakes from the tin and allow to cool. Whilst the cake cools, you can make your buttercream.
- Break up the white chocolate, and pop into a microwaveable bowl. Heat in the microwave in short bursts of 20 seconds until melted. Then allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter whilst gradually adding the icing sugar to the mixture until fully combined.
- When the chocolate is at room temperature, add to the buttercream and mix until completely combined; the buttercream mixture should have a soft, spreadable consistency; but if it doesn’t, just add a little milk until you get it right.
- Once the cake is cool, you can sandwich the two together with your buttercream (you can pipe it on if you are feeling fancy)! Pipe some buttercream on top, and decorate with strawberries for that extra summer taste.
Free Mango White Chocolate Bar!
We currently have an offer on our website*, whereby you can get a free bar of Mango White Chocolate when you buy any 5 100g Chocolate Bars! Simply use the code ‘mango18’ at the checkout.
*Offer ends 29th June 2018